Monday, June 18, 2012

Spiffing It Up!

I was recently asked by a fellow mom, what are a few key things she needs to do to spiff up her stay at home mom summer fun wardrobe of tees and shorts, while staying comfortable and casual enough to run around after her kiddos...

Here are two great examples of a casual summer outfits...kicked up a notch with a few simple additions...









Both of these outfits started with a basic t-shirt and shorts...

-Swap a plain short for a fun patterned pair...these Ikat ones from Loft are my favorite summer staple.  I also love styling my red madras plaid pair.

-Tuck in the t-shirt...or just the front of it...  I love the partial tuck...it drapes over my side flab, but highlights my flat-ish stomach.

-The addition of a necklace and earrings...even tiny ones, ads color and shine.

-I have a tendency to stack on the bracelets, but just adding a few, or just one statement cuff, ads color and interest.

-I vote to ditch the flip flops... But, I am biased since I just cannot wear them...not enough support.  There are so many options for flat and comfy sandals out there that can add so much more to an outfit!  My comfy staples are my Toms and silver Sperry's.

Please pardon the glasses and puffy face...my allergies are at an all time worst.  I have decided to forgo a small slice of vanity, and sport my specs for a while.  I wore glasses all through childhood, so when I wear them, I feel like a little kid playing dress-up!

I am linking up with the fabulous gals at Monday Mingle

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE the pink necklace!

Fitness By Alicia said...

I love that pink necklace and the print in those shorts. Cute!

Rebecca said...

I like the printed shorts and the printed flats.

Mimi said...

Great casual looks and good advice...the accessories and the way you wore them make them stand out...I love the shorts in the first outfit;)

Aesthetic Lounge

Mimi said...

Great casual looks and good advice...the accessories and the way you wore them make them stand out...I love the shorts in the first outfit;)

Aesthetic Lounge

Mimi said...

Great casual looks and good advice...the accessories and the way you wore them make them stand out...I love the shorts in the first outfit;)

Aesthetic Lounge

LyddieGal said...

with the huge array of cute shorts (hey ikat shorts twin!) that are EVERYWHERE this summer, it's so easy to take shorts and a tee up to the level of put together and chic.
Chic on the Cheap

Shea Lennon said...

I love these casual, yet fun, summer looks! I love those printed shorts, and your accessories always make your looks special. Can I raid your jewelry closet?!

Megan, TfDiaries.com said...

love the short and fun accessories!

Xo Megan

Anonymous said...

These are great tips especially for those who want to make the most out of their existing wardrobe. The pops of color you added are just perfect!

Claire said...

love these casual summer outfits. it's great how you add cute accessories and shoes (like those silver sperry's and colorful TOMS!!!) with the t-shirt and shorts!

http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com

Tiffany said...

These are such great tips! I love how you jazz up the shorts and tee with the cute flats and necklace!

The Closet Shopper said...

Perfect Mom on the go looks. If you could print this out and distribute them at my super market, that would be great. ;)

xo,
Tracy

Tara said...

I wholeheartedly agree with your use of bracelets (especially when the collection of bracelets to choose from is as awesome as yours!) to spiff up any casual outfit. They look like you're making an effort, without all of the effort, and most of the time, they can double as an entertainment factor for a bored toddler. It's a win-win :)