Friday, July 29, 2011

Amazing What A Skirt Can Do...

Worn to work Friday, July 29



 This necklace was one of my birthday presents to myself.  I always wanted on of the House of Harlow necklaces and when this one was on Gilt I snatched it up...mine, mine, mine...

Skirt-Express/Tank top, Jacket-Old Navy/necklace-Gilt via House of Harlow/shoes-random German brand/
Jewelry-DIY, Mexican Shop, Street Vendor

I made an interesting discovery today...
When you dress like everyone else in a place or group, they tend to feel more comfortable with you and are friendlier...
All the mothers at the boy's camp today were so nice to me, saying hi, smiling.  Did I have something on my face, was my hair sticking up, was my skirt tucked into my undies...what...?
Then I realized everyone was friendlier because I looked more like them today...I had on a maxi skirt...
The camp is run by a Modern Orthodox sect of Judaism, Chabad...they are very accepting of all families of all sects on Judaism.  But, they believe that women should be dressed modestly, not to distract men.  So, a good portion of the mom's at drop-off and pick-up, that I interact with, are wearing long skirts, long sleeve shirts and some have scarf-type head wraps.  If you are reader of my corner of the internet, you will know that I dress for no one but myself.  I wear everything from maxi skirts to short dresses...but always in good taste...I like to wear tank tops without jackets, but I never let everything just hang out...
I have not problem showing my individuality and wearing what is me, but I now realize, people inherently feel more comfortable around people that look and act like them. 



I had totally forgot about these shoes...I guess that is what happens when you don't get around to digging into some of the summer storage boxes until the end of July.  So, when I received a box from Gilt last night, I ripped it open, so excited to show off my birthday present to myself...love it! I thought styling it with a bright colored tank would be the best way to show it off.  It is 65 degrees in my office and I sit directly under the vent, so I decided to crab my cargo jacket to keep me warm.

I hope everybody was a great and relaxing weekend...I know I will try too.

10 comments:

Allison said...

Interesting observation. Maybe that's why no one talks to me haha. Cool necklace btw!

Anne said...

That is interesting. Probably why people in my office don't always talk to me since I'm not wearing jeans and/or sweat suits :)

I love how the coral pops against the neutral skirt and jacket - great outfit!

xo, Kimberly said...

You know, I never thought of things that way... I bet I scare the crap out of people when I wear neon green tights. :)

LOVE your necklace! I won a pair of House of Harlow earrings from my friend, Isabel, and they are so interesting!

From Suns To Moons said...

For some reason, I find this story quite funny. I understand their religious/cultural reasons for feeling more of a connection with Modest You, but it also seems very high school, no?

Fashion Confessions of a Mommy said...

Great colors. The tank totally pops and very cool necklace.
Interesting observation about the maxi skirt and the other mommies. You are correct. But I think also over time when they realize you are a similar mom like them they will warm up regardless of what you are wearing is different than theirs.
Daphne.
http://fashiondivamommy.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

LOVE your new necklace & the whole look! Definitely an interesting observation. I see that quality in myself in that, if I see someone wearing Anthro at a party/etc, I'm eager to make their acquaintance haha. We'll at least have SOMETHING in common. ;)

Shea Lennon said...

I love that necklace--looks like a great birthday present to me!! I think you're right about people being more comfortable around others who dress similarly. I'm not sure that it's a conscious thing, but I think it's true. I'll have to pay more attention to that the next time I'm in a group of people I don't know well. Very interesting...

Unknown said...

That does make sense...and it's prolly true! That necklace was a great gift for yourself b/c it is soooooo unique. Love it and the maxi!

Judy said...

Loving the maxi skirt!

xx.
Judy

Marie McGrath (The Joy of Fashion) said...

Yeah, I have come to discover that too. I like to wear really bold colored outfits and out-of-the-ordinary pieces. Somehow that intimidates people to talk to me... hehe, you look very pretty btw!

www.thejoyoffashion.blogspot.com