Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Proof of Life....Proof of Purpose

Worn to Work Tuesday, December 28




I was supposed to have a big meeting today, so I dressed kind of conservatively today. Of course, that means the meeting will be canceled...and it was. Instead of spending the afternoon with a new client having a nice lunch, I had to spend it running back and forth doing work errands--banking, dropping off invoices, lots of things I really did not feel like doing today.

Lately I have been in a funk...not just style wise, but life wise. Debi from the great blog The Truth About Motherhood summed up my feelings perfectly...

I am barely recognizable to myself in the mirror. I have become so immersed in their lives, their dreams and goals that I have forgotten about my own. Well, obviously I have not entirely forgotten, since I am referencing and acknowledging the fact that I ever had dreams and goals of my own, but I have certainly pushed myself to the side in many ways.
Our children are our top priority but shouldn't we be a priority on our own life, as well? Our children need to see us succeed, fail, survive it all and to pick ourselves up and continue on. If I were practicing as a lawyer or a doctor, I would not let it engulf my entire life. I would still allow myself outside interests, friends, hopes, and dreams. If we don’t do the same with Motherhood, who will we be when our children are grown and don’t need us to be their every thing? How will we define who we are if we have completely forgotten who we were?


I just feel lost...

7 comments:

hillary said...

oh hun I don't have kids so I can't say I know exactly but I know the lost feeling. The lack of knowing who and what you are. I am sorry you are dealing with that.

Melissa said...

Oh honey. I know how you feel. And I think every mother goes through this. You're not alone, just know that and know that you'll come out of the funk too.

On another note - you look uber chic and professional today!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry you feel that way right now, I think we all go through it at different points in our lives. Hugs to you that you will be able to carve out a little more "you" in 2011.

Kelly said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. Go figure...your meeting gets cancelled when you're all dressed up!

Although I don't have kids, I too have been in a life funk at various points this year. Cheers to 2011 bringing bigger and better things for us all!!!

Tara said...

I kind of know how you're feeling, because I feel like I've gone through something of the same thing. I'm trying to be what I think 'mom' should be, and I don't really remember who I actually am sometimes.

You are most definitely not alone in that lost feeling, but here's to that rediscovery in the new year!

Fashion Confessions of a Mommy said...

I know what you mean. I feel that way sometimes. That is why I like having a fashion blog and dressing up. It makes me feel 'me'. I also love reading. They take me out of my life and remind me there are other worlds. I just get so little time to read but enjoy it. I was pretty much raised by my grandmother who did not work and I remember how boring the women conversation was and told myself I would be a career woman. I was talking to another friend though and she said her mother worked all the time and was very successful and she missed her so much that she decided she was going to be a stay home mom and not have her kids go through that. So you see no matter what we do the kids will probably want the opposite. Unless you can find that perfect situation where you can do both. Which sounds like you kind of have.

KT said...

So I'm not a mom either, but as some one who loves her mom a ton - I am eternally grateful for all the self-sacrificing she did for me and all the lessons it has taught me. Keep smiling. - Katy